Sunday 3 March 2013

Adelaide Trip - Georges on Waymouth

http://www.georgesonwaymouth.com.au/

The problem with travelling to a new city for only a few days is the limited amount of time you have to check out all of the great places you want to go.  In my case, this was as many great restaurants that Adelaide had to offer as possible.  I was only going to be in Adelaide for a couple of days (details about why here) and I had already burned both dinners on Celsius and Press, so I only had breakfasts available to me now.

There are so many ways to find out where to eat when visiting a new city nowadays and I hit just about all of them, top 10 breakfast lists, urbanspoon, AGFG and of course chatting to some local bloggers over twitter.  After considering all of the advise given I decided that Georges on Waymouth would be my first breakfast target.

Georges on Waymouth has been serving the people of Adelaide for just under 10 years and is every bit the European style restaurant.  The owners George & Coula Kasimatis have the aim of serving fresh seasonal produce and to provide impeccable service.  Their approach seems to be working as Georges has won several Restaurant & Catering awards and holds two Chefs Hats form the Australian Good Food Gude.



I was seated by a really friendly and welcoming waiter and given my choice of tables, it was fairly early and the restaurant was mostly empty.  The styling of the restaurant reminded me of many of the restaurants SC and I frequented in our European holidays, so it did have that authentic European feel to it.  The 2013 Summer menu was very simple with fairly traditional options, but had a couple of more contemporary options thrown in for the more adventurous (beetroot cured salmon, anyone?).  I really like the menu because I am a man of simple tastes for breakfast and I look for perfection with the simplicity.

One thing I did notice about the menu is that there were no smoothies on offer, something I would come to understand is not really offered at breakfast in Adelaide.  So with no smoothies, I had to break my self imposed two year ban on coffee and had an iced coffee with vanilla bean ice cream added.  It was pretty good, but I would have loved a smoothie on a sunny summer's morning.

I ordered my usual breakfast of scrambled eggs, sautéed mushrooms, roasted tomato, grilled chorizo (yay) and bacon.  This is pretty much my standard eat out breakfast and with such a simple breakfast I really expect it to be right each time, there is little room for error here.



The first thing I noticed was how creamy and yellow the scrambled eggs looked, they weren't really light and fluffy but had a firmer texture, a little like an omelete.  I actually quite like this texture in my scrambled eggs and always try for it when cooking my own at home.  The eggs were super tasty!  The mushrooms were sautéed and were OK but not fantastic, there was a strong sage flavour to them and they could have used a little more seasoning, to really make the flavour pop.



What I really loved about the dish was the chorizo and bacon combination, which really worked well together.  The chorizo was sliced fairly thin but was not over cooked, so there was a lovely soft texture with a little bit of char for added flavour.  The bacon was cooked just how I like it, with only a little bit of crispiness around the fat but the bacon nice and soft still.  The tomato was OK, but could have used some extra seasoning or some balsamic vinegar to bring out the flavour.


As far as breakfast goes, Georges on Waymouth ticked most of the boxes for me.  The food was very good, but had some room for improvement, the staff were really friendly and the environment was pretty cool.  It didn't really get too busy, so the place lacked just a little bit of a vibe that adds to the experience.  I could imagine how great Georges would be with a full house and a much needed boost to the ambiance.

Probably the only thing that would have made this much a better breakfast was a nice raspberry and blueberry smoothy.  Oh, I forgot, it would have been much better if SC was there sharing the experience with me!

@FoodMeUpScotty


Georges on Waymouth on Urbanspoon Georges On Waymouth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks very much for your comment, I really love and appreciate feedback and your thoughts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...