Sunday 8 March 2015

Cheap Eats - Fringe Vault


There are simply too many restaurants in Hong Kong and sometimes wandering around, it's a matter of analysis paralysis on where to eat, especially for lunch.  I've taken to exploring the little part of HK near my work at Central, trying to find a great little place where I can fall back to when needed.  

I thought I'd found just the right spot when walking up the first part of Wyndham Street.  Fringe Vault looks pretty cool, located in a red brick building, it reminded me of the cool little cafes that you'd stumble across in Melbourne.  A sneaky look through the window reinforced that view, and a quick look at the all day breakfast menu convinced me that I was onto a winner.

Inside was cool, really cool.  Exposed brick walls with cool artwork abounding along with polished cement floors had me convinced my meal to come would be the goods.  I ordered my 'lusty big breakfast' and a hot chocolate at the counter, then made my way into the dining area for a seat to await my meal.  The tables and chairs further added to the feeling of cool, all were outdoor furniture pieces that combined to give a great vibe...  I felt really comfortable while sitting there, I really did.

The first sign that things were not going to go right was with the delivery of my hot chocolate..  Luke warm chocolate (at best) would probably be the best way to describe it.  However, it was when my all day breakfast came that I realised you can't judge a book by it's cover: or in this instance, a restaurant by it's decor.  


The lusty big breakfast came with a couple of free style eggs (scrambled), bacon, sausage, chicken chipolata, grilled potatoes and six grain toast.  Not advertised with those ingredients, but coming along for the ride, was steamed carrot, broccoli and cauliflower.  I have to say, it was one of the ugliest plates of food I'd ever seen, not appetising at all.


Being brave, I gave eating it a go.  Bad move!  The eggs were bland, oh-so-bland and overcooked;  the bacon was edible (the only thing); the big chunk of tomato was cooked on the outside and not internally, so it was cold and the less said about the sausages the better.  Lets just say I felt instantly sick.  I didn't get to the steamed vegetables, well because, they were steamed vegetables on a breakfast plate.


I left my breakfast half eaten and walked out, feeling quite disappointed.  How could a place that looked so cool, promise so much and deliver so little....  Well, lesson learned.

It's not a place I will be back to.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks very much for your comment, I really love and appreciate feedback and your thoughts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...